Monday 22 March 2010

Go Swapping Not Shopping with Skinny Cow!



This weekend, I was invited to attend and participate in the Skinny Cow celebrity Swap Shop in London. Now, I have never been to one of these swap shop (or swishing) events before but after hearing that a Mulberry bag may be up for swapping grabs I was indeed pretty excited but perhaps a little concerned that my cheaper offerings were either going to get turned away or sadly left hanging on the rails.

I arrived and was taken into a separate lounge with a few fellow bloggers and competition winners who won tickets to the event via the Facebook competition. What better way to start a rainy grey Saturday than by being served with a Skinny Cow Hot Chocolate and able to share a good ol' natter with everyone!



We were then shown into the swapping room to get a preview of all the clothes available. Kelly Brook was hosting the event and I have to say – wow, this girl is absolutely stunning - serious envy! Other celebs who had contributed their threads included Sarah Harding and Holly Willoughby so we were all eager to have a good poke around. The room was also nicely decked out with cute Skinny Cow themed boudoir style decor which was a nice touch.

Everyone was then let in and luckily there were no handbag fights or shoes thrown at one another (think of Confessions of a Shopaholic sample sale scene). It was busy but friendly and though it was a challenge to find pieces that you wanted, it wasn’t too tricky to seek out some gems. I am so happy with my finds; a Ringspun military inspired jacket, statement choker necklace and a pink and black Siren stripy cardigan with gorgeous embellished detailing on the back. There was some seriously good clobber (designer and high street) and I am pleased to say that I know at least one of my contributions go to a very good home.



What I found I loved about swapping/swishing is that it really brings home the excitement of finding the perfect item – and even better, at no cost! It is also really exhilarating to see how something that has been gathering dust in your wardrobe is going to breathe new life on someone who it will look fabulous on.

The whole aim of the Skinny Cow Swap Shop is to raise funds for Marie Curie Cancer Care. The event was a huge success and everyone seemed thrilled with their finds so it’s also nice to know that our passion for fashion has also helped an incredibly worthy cause.

I will most definitely be swishing again! You can check out the video detailing the event and presented by Kelly Brook here.

No comments: